Tuesday, April 24, 2012

**Technique Tuesday with Ranger**

 Hey everyone! Hope everyone's Tuesday is awesome! I have been playing around with Ranger and have found some really cool techniques to share. I have had Ranger products for a while and have often played around with the distressing stains ink pads and dobbers. I didn't realize the possibilities that could be achieved and much more. My journey started with the liquid Pearl line. I have seen the dots created with them and wanted to see if anything else was possible. I found many really cool techniques to do on you tube. With no other than the master himself Tim Holtz! It was like I had a tutor all to myself!! Now I am going to take you threw everything technique that I played with a piece at a time and explain! Most everything that I used can be found at the Flying Unicorn store.  Ok lets get started!


 With the Distress Stains I colored seam binding. I didn't use any on the lace it was already nicely colored, that was from one of our members Cathi. Thank you Cathi love the lace! I found this to be extremely quick and easy to do! It dries super fast! I seen TH do this and thought to myself I love using seam binding on my projects! I blended different colors on one of the pieces. I used "Spun Sugar", "Broken China" and "Walnut". I fought with the urge not to use the distressed piece but my dd said that it really looked good with the project. So I used it and glad that I did! Next Item..


 On this part I played with the Crackle Paints. I found out that when they crack they will reveal the color that is being used. So this is where the Distress Stains come into play. On another note, if you use the Distress stains on your BG the crackle paint will absorb the color that you used. It re wets the stain and activates it again. When I saw that did this with the "walnut" and didn't look really well at all. I used the "Broken China" and "Spun Sugar" to level out the tones. The Color of the Crackle Paint that I used was "Tattered Rose". I really liked it more when I started adding those other colors in. It really made a difference to the end result.

 This is what the BG looked like before I added the Crackle Paint. You get a more blended look if you re wet them after they are applied. When TH did this it must have been on a different paper than I used. I used Plain CS to do this on. I think his was more like Photo paper. On his it puddled up when he misted it with water. Doesn't do that on plain CS just blends together better. No harsh lines.


  The above image You can see where I used the Crackle paint again and in behind that is a new item that I played with, Tissue tape! I really liked using that tape! Didn't think I would to be honest but it is really detailed and fun to color too! There is a lot on a roll!! Which is nice for experimenting with!! I colored mine with the "Broken China" Distress Stain. TH shows that you can die cut it after you apply it to CS. It looks really cool! Love, love the look! I also took the Crackle Paint and covered up some of it too.. Works wonderfully! Now for the Liquid Pearls!!


 I found that you not only can use them for those cool dots, but you can also paint with them! I embossed the above butterfly (Kaizercraft Bonjor collection stamps. One of my faves!!) with some black embossing powder on plain white CS and on the bird I embossed with brown embossing powder and colored it as well (From the same collection as mentioned above). Then squirted some out on my splat mat and painted it. You can also just mist a little water on it and lighten the color up. I did this on another project that I did, that I am going to show you. Added dots here and there. I also added them on the swirls and lace too! Now for my whole tag!


 I was going for the grungy look, but think I got Shabby Chic instead! LOL I Also did a LO using all the techniques mention above. It was super fun to do! Love using all these cool products to play with on my projects! Love them even more now that I know what they do before I use them! LOL Now for that LO! I used the Shona's sketch. You have got to check out Laura's challenge and give this awesome sketch ago!


I used TH Idea-ology "Shabby Chic" PP to do this LO. Flowers used was MH and Flying Unicorn little roses that I put some Lindy's "Winter Jasmine Gold" on to make them yellow. I also used my Distress Stain "Walnut" in the center of the blue MH Flowers called "Sparkles-blue" and also some Gesso on the outsides of them to tone the color down a little and also match my project. The Branch I used is a Prima branch. The title is a CTMH Stamp and Butterflies are PinkPaislee "Butterfly Garden" and CTMH "Large on in center and small one at bottom right". The Swirls are also CTMH. Gonna put some close ups of this LO for you so you can see all the techniques better.





Well I hope you enjoyed and give these awesome techniques a try! Thanks for looking! Be sure to check out the store for most all of the goodies mentioned above! Hugs!

2 comments:

  1. Like your exploration of crackle paint. It has some awesome effects of your page. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooooooo amazing and I also love the way you explained it all. just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete