Tuesday, December 15, 2015

A Christmas Tree Star with Petaloo

 Hello everyone! Today I have a project to share with you a Star Christmas tree topper and a tute using Yummy Petaloo flowers!!

 We was asked to do a project around our Christmas traditions. For me, as I thought of that request the first thing that popped in my mind was my Nana's house and how we gather every year in a large living room at her house. This has always been where my most fondest memories growing up has been. Waiting on the loved ones to come in, and no matter how late it was we didn't start without them. We would always start out the evening with the reading of the birth of baby Jesus from a old bible that my Nana has had for many many years. After that then we would start with the little ones and pass out gifts. My Nana's little tree would have lots of gifts stacked under it and around it. The room would be packed with us all (very large family!) and gifts. Under that little Christmas tree would also hold a coconut. I am not sure why, but it was always there. My Uncle would always break it up after the gifts was cleared and we would share some of that fresh treat. Nana's tree has many of the same ornaments, and tree topper as it did when I was growing up. The tree topper was a star. The star to me and to many is a symbol of the birth of baby Jesus.  The one that lead the wise men to where he would be found in Bethlehem. I don't get to have Christmas with my Nana this year and that makes me sad. But she will have the best Christmas of all so that makes me feel a little better. In honor of her, I created a Christmas star tree topper, and included a tute as well. I hope you all enjoy!! :)

I happen to have on my hands a Darice Grapevine star on my hands from a Flying Unicorn KOM. It was a OTP that I didn't get to complete.
IMG_2477
This is How I made it.. Complete with little lites too! :)

First I gessoed the whole star front and back, to give it a snowy feel. I didn't deeply saturate it with the gesso, as I wanted some of the wood rustic look to shine through. Then I started my layering process. I started out with a Pack of Petaloo Botanica Berry clusters and the leaves from the Botanica Blooms in Sugared Mocha and the New Dogwood Vintage Velvets (love these!!). I glued the stems to the wood beneath. This is gonna be covered up. Just make sure you have them attached well.  Here is a photo of this layer..
IMG_2470

Now I am ready for my next layers of blooms.. I used the white Botanica Poinsettias and the Sugared Botanica Blooms. Then added in a twine bow..
FullSizeRender (6)

  FullSizeRender (7)

I added in another White Poinsettia and another Botanica sugared in Mocha. I am dancing them around to create my custer.. I also add in a another Dogwood bloom too.
IMG_2467

The last kiss on top is a larger size of the White Poinsettia on top. Covers up the last hole and completes the cluster..
IMG_2466

After my glue is dry I turn it over and add in my lites. I got them from the Dollar Store. They have a little battery pack (no electric or risk of fire ;) ). Here is pics of how I attached them to the piece..
IMG_2471
IMG_2472

After this was glued down and the battery pack as well. I then started covering my cluster with mediums. First Gesso..
IMG_2473

I wanted my piece to flow with the star beneath, adding in the gesso would tie that together.. Now I add in a bit of shimmer with 13 Arts white and silver paint..
IMG_2474

You could stop here.. But I am a huge fan of blue.. So I added in a little misting to my White Poinsettias with a little spitz of 13 Arts Turquoise mist.
IMG_2476

Yup, I think I am happy now with the way it turned out. ;) Here is a couple more photos of the completed project..

IMG_2478

IMG_2479

IMG_2480

Super fun and soooo easy to make! Hope you enjoyed! Merry Christmas all!! :)

Petaloo Products Used:
Botanica Holiday Berry Cluster Picks
White Poinsettias
Vintage Velvet Dogwood Blooms in Teal
Sugared Botanica Blooms in Mocha

Other Products Used:
Darice Grapevine Star
13 Arts White and silver glitter Paint
Gesso
Twine
Lites from the Dollar store
Huggs Tammy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment